1 Free Range Bannockburn Whole Chicken from Hudson Meats
5-6 baby potatoes halved
2 tbsp coconut oil
4 cloves garlic
1 inch ginger
1 red onion finely diced
2 tomatoes chopped finely
3-4 sprigs curry leaves
1 cinnamon quill
4-5 cardamom pods (crushed)
2 tsp tamarind paste
4 tsp curry powder
2 tsp red chilli powder
1-1 1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp black pepper
100ml coconut milk
- Bring chicken to room temperature. Cut chicken into 10 pieces. Wash chicken thoroughly.
- Place chicken into a large bowl. Add tamarind, 2 tsp curry powder, 2 tsp pepper and 1 tsp salt. Mix and set aside to marinate for 30 minutes- 1 hour.
- Grind ginger and garlic to form a paste.
- Add oil to a deep pan on medium high. Add onions and fry till golden. Add ginger, garlic paste and fry until aromatic. Add cinnamon quill, cloves and curry leaves. After a minute add tomatoes. Cook for 2-3 minutes and add remaining curry powder and chilli powder. Mix well.
- Add chicken to the pan. Cook on medium high heat for 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes and turn down the heat to low. Cover with a lid and cook for 40-45 minutes.
- Add coconut milk and cook for 5 minutes.
- Season with ½ tsp salt if required and serve immediately with rice.
Recipe by Sarah Ahmed : @nourish.glow.repeat