800g blade steak from Hudson Meats
Half a jar of Mutti passata from Hudson Meats
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp olive oil
2 carrots chopped
1 celery stalk chopped
6 cloves minced garlic
350g button mushrooms
2 red onions finely sliced
600ml red wine
500ml beef stock
½ tsp orange zest
Quarter pieces (2 tsp ground ginger, pinch of grated nutmeg, 2 tsp black pepper and 1 tsp ground cloves)
2 bay leaves
3-4 sprigs of thyme
1 tsp salt and pepper
2 tsp cornflour (optional)
- Bring steak to room temperature, pat dry. Trim excess fat and cut into chunky cubes (3cm). Season with salt and pepper.
- Pre-heat oven to 160C
- Add olive to a dutch oven on medium high. Brown beef in batches and set aside.
- Add quatre epices and garlic. Once fragrant add 1 sliced onion, celery and carrots. Once softened add passata, bay leaves, orange zest and thyme. Pour in brandy,wine and stock. Bring to a boil.
- Return the meat to the pan and cover.
- Transfer to oven and cook for 2 ½-3 hours.
- Add butter to a frying pan on medium high. Saute mushrooms and remaining onion. Add to daube. Add more salt and pepper to taste if required. Garnish with parsley. Optional - To thicken sauce add 2 tsp corn flour mixed with ¼ cup of cold water.
- Serve with mash, polenta or sourdough