4 lamb shanks from Hudson Meats
1 jar tomato sauce from Hudson Meats
3 cloves Bellingen garlic (minced) from Hudson Meats
2 tbsp minced ginger
1 tbsp olive oil
1 red onion finely chopped
4 tbsp Harissa spice mix
2 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp ground cumin
1 cinnamon quill
60g pitted dates
400g canned chickpeas (drained)
1 ½ cups chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste
*add 1 tsp salt if the Harissa spice mix does not contain salt
Pomegranate seeds and coriander for garnish
1 packet Moroccan Couscous from Hudson Meats
500ml boiling hot water
2 tbsp olive oil
- Season lamb shanks with 2 tbsp harissa spice mix and set aside for 30 minutes to 1 hour to marinade,
- Spray a pan with 1 tbsp olive oil and brown lamb shanks on each side. Remove from pan,
- Add olive oil to the same pan. Add onions, cinnamon, ginger and garlic. Cook until slightly fried. Add remaining harissa spice mix, turmeric and ground cumin. Fry for 1- 2 minutes.
- Add spice mix to a slow cooker. Add dates, chickpeas, tomato sauce and stock. Mix well. Place lamb inside.
- Cook on high for 6 hours. Mix and flip over lamb in 2 hour intervals.
- Add contents of couscous to a large bowl. Pour hot water and olive oil. Mix with a fork and cover with a plate.
- Serve couscous with lamb shanks and gravy.
Recipe by Sarah Ahmed : @nourish.glow.repeat