Butter Chicken – cooking instructions from Zest
1 kg chicken thighs or chicken breast from Hudson Meats
175g Zest Butter Chicken (1 packet) from Hudson Meats
1 red/brown onion diced
1/2 cup stock or water
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 bay leaves
3 tbsp tomato paste
3 tbsp almond meal
3-4 tbsp plain yogurt
1 tsp salt (optional)
1 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- Dice chicken into small bite sized pieces. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add 1 tbsp oil to a large pan on medium high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned. Cook in batches.
- Transfer to bowl, add zest butter chicken marinade and set aside.
- Or omit steps 1-3 and follow instructions on Zest Butter Chicken packet - Dice chicken into small bite sized pieces & marinade with Zest Butter Chicken Blend for 1 hour in the fridge.
- Add oil to a large pan and cook onions till translucent. Add meat and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add tomato paste, almond meal, stock or water and bay leaves. Cover and cook on low heat for 20-25 minutes
- Add yogurt and simmer for 5 minutes. For a thicker gravy add 1 additional tbsp almond meal. For more gravy, add ½ cup water.
- Serve with turmeric rice
2 cups rice
4 cups water
4-5 tbsp butter
1 cinnamon stick
2 cardamom pods
2 cloves garlic minced
½ inch ginger minced
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp salt
- Add the butter, garlic, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom to a large pot. Sauté over medium high heat for a minute. Add turmeric and stir.
- Add dry rice to the pan and toast for 2-3 minutes.
- Add water, salt and cover pan with a lid. Reduce heat after 5 minutes to low heat and cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve with butter chicken
Recipe by Sarah Ahmed : @nourish.glow.repeat