6 portions of chicken Maryland from Hudson Meats
- cut into 2 to separate thighs and drumsticks
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter
1 large onion finely diced or handful pearl onions
4 cloves finely chopped garlic
400g brown mushrooms quartered
500ml red wine
500ml beef stock
2 tbsp tomato paste
4 tbsp all purpose flour
3 sprigs of thyme
1 bay leaf
2 tsp salt and pepper
Finely chopped parsley for garnish
* optional - 200g diced pancetta or speck
- Pre-heat oven to 180C.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium high heat.
- If adding pancetta or speck, add to pan and sautee until cripsy and golden brown (5-8 minutes). Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add chicken and sear on each side (4-5 minutes on each side)
- Transfer chicken to a plate.
- Add onion and mushroom. Once softened add garlic and tomato paste, cook for a minute.
- Add butter, once melted add flour. Mix well.
- Add wine, stock, thyme and bay leaf. Bring to a boil to reduce the wine (cook for 6-8 minutes).
- Add chicken (along with pancetta/speck if used), close pan with a lid and transfer to the oven to cook for 1 hour.
- Serve over mash and garnish with fresh parsley.
Recipe by Sarah Ahmed : @nourish.glow.repeat