Our Hudson Meats free-range turkey's are sourced from the Southern Highlands, NSW.
The turkey buffet will weigh between 5-6kg and will feed approximately 8-10 people.
Cooking Instructions :
- Ensure turkey is washed inside and out and preheat oven to 180°C.
- Remove the turkey from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes prior to cooking to bring the turkey to room temperature.
- Rub the turkey well inside and out with a seasoned butter. Loosely stuff the cavity with stuffing, then weigh the turkey. Allow a cooking time of 35 minutes per Kg plus 15 minutes.
- Pour ½ cup water into baking tray. Place the turkey in the baking tray with breast side down. Turn the turkey halfway through cooking and replenish water every 30 minutes to stop juices from burning. Pierce thigh with a thin skewer to test whether turkey is cooked – the juices should run clear.
- Baste with seasoned butter every 30 minutes.
- Turn the oven off and pull the oven door ajar. Allow the turkey buffet to rest in the warmth of the oven. Resting will allow the turkey to finish cooking and for the meat to relax. Rest for a minimum of 30 minutes.
Seasoned Butter: Melt 150g butter into a frying pan and drop in zest of 1 lemon. Warm over a gentle heat for a few minutes then tip into an electric blender and add 2 teaspoons of fresh thyme and 1 bay leaf. Whizz to pulverise herbs then tip into bowl. Stir in juice from 1 lemon, add salt & pepper. Use before butter sets solid.